Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Quick Knit Baby Bib


My sister is going to be a grandmother, and I just had to make this simple bib for her new grandbaby.
If you can knit a dishcloth, you can make a bunch of these for your little messy eater!
Easy to knit, easy to wash and easy to wear.
 A simple yarn over button hole and large button, hold it in place. You could make lots for a busy new mom.  I chose a natural colour, but you know this yarn comes in rainbow colours.  Have fun with whatever is already in your stash.





Quick Knit Baby Bib

Yarn:    Crafters Cotton 50grams  (or other worsted weight cotton)
Gauge 16 sts = 4 inches in garter stitch
Needles: 4.5mm
One large button

Cast on 34 stitches.  Knit EVERY ROW (garter stitch) until piece measures 7 inches.
Next Row: knit 10, cast off next 14 stitches, knit 10.
Work one side at a time, garter stitch the 10 stitches until the neck band measures 5 inches.  Next row, knit 2 together, knit 6, knit 2 together.
Last row, cast off 8 stitches.
Attach yarn and start garter stitch on second side (button hole side).  Work 5 inches.
Next row, knit 3, knit 2 together, yarn over, knit 2 together, knit 3.
Next row, knit 9.
Last row, cast off 9 stitches.  Darn in loose ends.
Sew button opposite buttonhole.

 


15 comments:

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

What a lovely alternative to making washcloths. THXdr

Cher said...

How many yards of yarn is needed to make this bib? I can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

great idea, thanks. I love making unique baby gifts.

Bobbe

chris said...

No idea of the yardage, just that it does not take more than one ball to make one, I buy this yarn by the big skein, and makes lots of cloths and bibs.

PP said...

HA! Just picked up a massive multi coloured skein of crafter's cotton and some sper cute white bunny buttons...let the bib knitting begin! Love Kimmee xoxo

Leslie said...

Easy and cute...I made a boarder at bottom and sides up to the neck and straps...usual k1p1. turned out great and like dish cloths so soft and washer ready !

Unknown said...

Wonderful and cute bibs! I really like those bibs with buttons, I think they are more nice than the Velcro one. Buttons will stay on bibs, no matter how long you will use it and what's good about buttons is that if it's suddenly removed you can still put it back by means of sewing.

Unknown said...

Great idea for a hot sunny afternoon. I really like projects that can be done in a couple of hours the best-more relaxing for me. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping you can help me. I would love to make this bib and I am new to knitting. I am a little confused on this step:
Attach yarn and start garter stitch on second side (button hole side). Work 5 inches.
I don't know what or where to attach yarn.

chris said...

Once you have completed one side of 10 sts, and cast off that side, you have 10 sts left on the needle that were NOT worked yet. But there is no yarn. So you will need to attach the yarn again at the edge, and resume knitting the second side. Best to sit with an experienced knitter to see it in person, it is not difficult once you see it the first time!
Hope that helps, Chris

laniesgrammy said...

You will be able to easily find a video on YouTube that will help you with this. Just use the search feature and type in attaching yarn in knitting and there should be several choices for you to watch. You will love this pattern! Happy Knitting!

chris said...

thank you laniesgrammy! great advise :)

JC Robison said...

After your baby is done teething, you can just rip out the sides, bind off, and you have dish cloths.

roisindubh211 said...

for other knitters confused by "attach yarn" I found this link to be useful, all the others assumed there was a tail to make a knot with.

http://forum.knittinghelp.com/t/how-do-you-rejoin-yarn/76756/4

Unknown said...

Can you finish this in one ball of yarn?