Sunday, March 16, 2008

In Spring a Knitter's thoughts turn to.....

Finally a sign of spring on the doorstep, a few days of sunshine and above freezing temps. The snow is melting fast, and the windows of the car and home are cracked open just a bit! At this time of year a knitter's thoughts turn to ... cotton. With that in mind I have ordered my newest fantasy yarn, Matsuri, a cotton - wool blend from Noro, with all the great colours of my favourite Silk Garden. I have visions (in my mind) of a hoody, cottony, sweatshirt style pullover, maybe with a pouch, like my great old soft and cozy cotton Roots hoody.
The big project currently underway is the Cape Collar Jacket from Vogue Winter 2008. I am working it from Esprit (elann) in wine colour. Unfortunately I find the full bag sale last month indicated a discontinuing of this yarn (one of my favourite cottons). Instead of a swatch, I just started on the sleeve, to check the pattern and gauge. It seems fine, although I may need to increase the cable ribbing pattern along the bottom edge of front and back, since the Esprit yarn stretches and contracts and ribs tightly. I like it since you can get a cotton garment, but not the cotton droop and sag. I will post photos in a few days of work in progress. It will likely be a 2 - 3 week job.
Of course I will be knitting socks, finger puppets, and the steel scarf at the same time....




No comments: