Monday, July 11, 2011

Two for One Felting!





So I was on the golf course, the place where many great ideas start and grow while I walk the 8K through the beautiful parkland whacking away at the little white ball. I was thinking about a couple of felting projects and trying to get psyched up for the hour and a half of rolling each would take. It is the only part of the felting process I find tedious, and the only thing that keeps me from felting everyday! Then, in a eureka moment, the thought came to me! Two for one! What if I laid out the first scarf on bubble wrap, sprayed it with hot soapy water, covered it with more bubble wrap, laid out a SECOND scarf, then wrapped it all in plastic. Rolling all up in a jelly roll style, I could roll two scarves at once, and skip half the rolling!







I could not wait to try this, and here are the photos of the first layer, a scarf made from Colinette Roving in Bright Charcoal to match my Colinette Art Cardigan. This one is made from two layers of roving, with no gaps. It will be a warm woolly scarf with Swiss cheese holes cut into it after the first two rollings (15 minutes for each rolling).







The second scarf is made with silk chiffon in black, layered with wispy thin merino roving (same as above) leaving plenty of silk showing between the merino lines. This will make a sheer, light scarf for more moderate temperatures, still matching my Art Cardigan!

The pair were rolled together for 5 - 15 minute sessions, unrolling and rolling up over a pool noodle from the opposite side after each session.
The scarves were finished with the same process, tossing in the sink several times, then hot and cold baths repeated until firmly felted. Rinse in cold, wrap in towels, and hang to dry... both look great with the sweater, and if it weren't over 30C ( 86F) I would model them!! :)
Scarf One.




Scarf Two.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure exactly why but this web site is loading incredibly slow for me.
Is anyone else having this problem or is it a
issue on my end? I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.