Monday, July 27, 2009

Weekend in Lancaster, PA


I spent Friday evening, to Sunday afternoon, in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The purpose of the trip was to visit my daughter, starting her last month of externship at a medical center in Lebanon. The secondary motivation was to drop in and visit some of the numerous knitting and quilting shops in the Lancaster area. (in the photo, the Lancaster Yarn Shop sign is behind the red car! but I was timing the buggy so, ooops)

I found The Lancaster Yarn Shop in Intercourse, PA, about 15 minutes east of Lancaster. Intercourse is a lovely village with high density craft shops, and many local Amish arts and crafts. The quilting alone was overwhelming, with museums, several shops with finished quilts and lots of fabric shops with unlimited ideas and patterns and colours... the best is The Old Country Store...

The Lancaster Yarn Shop was a delight and Wendy welcomed me, I had Ravelried her (is that a real word?) that I was visiting from Canada, and we had a great chat about the small knitting world and how we all connect! I bought some lovely green yarn (to be featured soon here), and a book I can't find on this side of the border.
I also found Labadie Looms, and oogled some amazing hand dyed yarns and rovings, before settling on 2 purchases...
I managed to do some quilting fabric purchases too, the selections made it difficult to decide, but I will be inspired as the weather gets colder to get busy on a new quilt....
Here are photos from the museum, of huge quilts that are WAY beyond my skills, but definately delighted my eyes....

I also spent time in Lebanon with Robin, and as we chatted in her room, a thunderstorm rolled through. A huge loud blast startled us and sounded VERY close... well it was, the tree outside the window was on fire and here is the security guys putting it out....
and here it is a few hours later, having broken and toppled onto the lawn!

No comments: